When it comes to the transmission in your vehicle, it’s by far one of the more complex components of your car and is also one of the most costly to replace. Maintaining your transmission can help greatly extend the lifetime of your vehicle and keep it in great running order. There are a few tell-tale signs of when you are having transmission problems and how to prevent those issues in the first place.
Cause of Transmission Problems
The biggest root cause of transmission issues is your vehicle running at high temperatures and overheating. Some instances when this happens are: towing or having a heavy load in your car, being stuck in the snow and rocking your vehicles back and forth, continually being in stop and go traffic in hot weather, heavy quick acceleration or other instances when your driving works your transmission very hard.
What happens is that when your transmission works hard and runs at higher temperatures, the fluid in it starts to break down and loses some of it’s lubricating power. This can cause serious issues with your transmission over the long term.
How to Prevent Damage to Your Transmission
There are a few simple things that you can do to ensure that your transmission keeps in good running order, to include:
- -Only shift to park or reverse when at a full stop.
- -Keep your car at normal idle when you shift from park to drive.
- -When shifting from park, keep a foot on your brake pedal.
- -Check your tranmsission fluid at every oil change. This should be a standard thing that an auto repair shop with ASE certified technicians do, but you should ask your service adviser if they do that the next time you are in. If the level of the fluid is low every time you check it, then you may have a leak in your system.
- -Change your transmission fluid at regular, recommended intervals, as indicated by your owner’s manual. If at any time your transmission fluid looks dirty, you may want to ask your auto repair shop to perform a full transmission flush.
Just remember, the only component more expensive than your transmission is your engine, so keep it in good shape as much as you can!
If you are having problems with your car transmission and would like it or any other component of your vehicle looked at, contact us online or call at 084-624-2440